This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my terms & conditions for more info.
We all know that Christmas should be a time for giving and supporting others that are less fortunate than yourselves. This year Gypsy Soul is supporting The Children’s Society.
The Children’s Society
The Children’s Society is a national charity that runs local projects, helping children and young people when they are at their most vulnerable, and have nowhere left to turn.
They also campaign for changes to laws affecting children and young people, to stop the mistakes of the past being repeated in the future.
The Children’s Society’s latest campaign is called Debt Trap with the focus of stopping debts harmful effects on children. Debt problems can leave families depressed, anxious and stressed.
“Children living in families struggling with debt are five times more likely to be unhappy than children in families who don’t have difficulty with debt”.
The Children’s Society are calling on the Government to create a ‘breathing space’ scheme to help families in debt.
“In the UK there are 2.4 million children living in families who have fallen into problem debt, that’s a huge number. In some cases children are going without basics such as food, clothing or heating, as well as suffering worry, anxiety and bullying”.
A breathing space will ensure families have access to the help they need, it will:
- Provide a year long scheme of protection from mounting debt
- Support families to put in place a longer term debt repayment plan based on affordability for the family/young person
- Prevent additional fees and charges from being levied for the period that the plan is in place.
- Place a hold on enforcement action so that children aren’t left intimidated and scared by visits from bailiffs and the parents’ debts don’t continue to accumulate.
- Ensure that those providing advice have policies and services in place to identify and support vulnerable customers
- Ensure that easy access routes are provided for the most vulnerable families and for young people living independently
What You Can Do To Help
There are lots of ways that you can support this great cause…
- Fundraise – Check out my 10 Fundraising Ideas for Families post for ideas
- Donate – Your donation will change the lives of extremely vulnerable children across the country
- Sign the Petition – Help The Children’s Society get to their goal of 1000 signatures
“For every £1 we spend, we raise £3.58 to help children and young people”.
Find out more about how you can get involved with The Children’s Society here.
Have you ever experienced a time in your life where you needed a breathing space to help you cope with debt? How did you deal with the stress of being in debt?