This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my terms & conditions for more info.
We all know that December is an expensive time of year, there just always seems to be some much that needs to be bought. For families you can add visiting Santa to that list, luckily there are loads of places in Devon to see the big man but the prices do vary quite substantially from place to place.
Today I have compiled a list of budget friendly Santa’s grottos that you can find in Devon, some you have to pay a small amount for and some are FREE! All of them are under £5.
Budget Friendly Santa’s Grottos
Santa at Trago Mills Newton Abbot- The North Pole Express
I have to say that by far the best value for money place to visit Santa is Trago Mills. Not only do you get to visit Santa but you also get a train ride, free hot drinks for the adults and free entry into their model railway display.
We did this grotto when we first moved down to Devon and the kiddies loved it!
- Cost: £3.00 per child includes train ride & gift
- Cost: £2.00 per adult includes train ride & free cuppa
- Also includes free entry to the elves workshop
- Free entry to their famous model railway
- Free entry to prize draw
The Santa’s grotto at Darts Farm is also very good value at only £4.00 per child. What makes it even better is that all profits go to Hospicare.
- Cost: £4.00 per child
- No booking required
Christmas Fayre at Ivybridge Donkey Sanctuary
Meet Santa and the donkeys at the Donkey Sanctuary in Ivybridge. There’s stalls, games, Santa’s grotto, raffles and lots more.
- Cost: FREE entry and parking
- Date: 3rd December 2016
- Time: 11am-3pm
- No booking required
Christmas Shopping Fayre at Westpoint Exeter
With this one you can kill two birds with one stone; visit Santa and do some Christmas shopping. The entrance to the grotto is free with your adult entrance ticket. There are 300 stalls at the event, selling a variety of Christmas goodies.
- Cost: £3.50 per adult
- Cost: Free for children (16 and under)
- Dates: Friday 25th November – Sunday 27th November 2016
- Free parking
- Free tasting sessions
Santa Sunday’s at Dartington Crystal
- Cost: £4.95
- Dates: 27th November, 4th December & 11th December
- Time: 11am-3pm
- Grotto gifts
- Face painting
- Festive food
- Free prize draw
Clovelly Christmas Lights Switch On
Please note with this one there isn’t a Santa’s grotto or a gift but Santa will be there on the night. Last year he handed out sweets to the children which they loved. Read our review of this event.
- Cost: £5 per car at the Visitor’s Centre
- Date: 4th December 2016
- Local brass band procession
- Christmas carols sung by the local choir
- Grand finale of fireworks
Santa’s Grotto at the Clock Tower Newton Abbot
This grotto is FREE to visit although they do ask for a donation for the Mayor’s charity – Newton Abbot Community Transport & Memory Café. No booking is required, you simply turn up on the night and queue.
There are a variety of other events on during these times too so worth checking out the Newton Abbot town councils website for more information.
- Cost: Free
- Dates: Saturday 3rd December – 11am-1pm, Wednesday 7th December – 6.30pm-8.30pm, Wednesday 14th December – 6.30pm-8.30pm, Saturday 17rh December – 11am – 1pm,Wednesday 21st December – 6.30pm – 8.30pm
Grotto just over £5
Santa’s Grotto at Shaldon Zoo
This one is just over £5 but I thought it worth mentioning as it seemed like such a good deal. There is a grotto at Shaldon Zoo this year and entry to the zoo on selected dates only costs £1.50 per person. The Santa’s Grotto visit then costs an additional £4.50 per child. Personally I still believe this is great value as you get entrance to the zoo and get to see Santa for only £6.00.
- Cost: £1.50 pp entrance fee & £4.50 per child for Santa’s grotto
- Dates: 17th & 18th December 2016
- Includes a gift
- Free craft activites
I’m sure there are many more budget friendly Santa’s grottos in Devon. If you know of any I love to hear about them.