This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my terms & conditions for more info.
This month I have been taking part in the Rustoleum Make It March challenge. We were tasked with finding an old piece of furniture and upcycling it.
I originally wanted to find two bedside drawers for our bedroom makeover but I was unable to find anything suitable. Instead, I managed to find an old tea chest that was in serious need of some TLC.
The first thing that I needed to do was prepare the chest ready for spraying and painting.
Once I had prepared the chest I then had to mask up around the metal ready to spray it with the rust reformer.
After I had sprayed all of the metal edging I then made a start on filling in the stencilling with the black all surface paint.
For the inside of the tea chest, I enlisted the help of the lovely Vicky over at Vicky Myers Creations to make me a lining. My sewing skills are not great and Vicky is the queen of sewing and upcycling so I was glad to have her on board.
To attach the material to the chest I used velcro which I glued to the underside of the chest and Vicky sewed another strip along the top of the lining.
The final thing I needed to do was attach the lining and here is the finished laundry basket…
I’m really happy with how it has turned out and it fits perfectly into the space that I intended for it.
Related Post: Upcycling Old Picture Frames into Jewellery Holders
The products I used for this project were…
- Rustoleum Rust Reformer
- Rustoleum Universal All Surface Paint in Black
- Rustoleum Small Stencil Brushes
- All Purpose Adhesive